Thursday, April 9, 2015

Current obsession

I don't know about anybody else, but it seems like I've always (or almost always) got some little obsession, or obsessions going on depending on the day.  Lately has been no exception.  

My car is getting old.  I call her the "granny mobile" because it was my mom's car and it's a serious "low rider".  It totally annoyed my sweet mom when I called her car a granny mobile!  She would exclaim that "it is not!  it's sporty!"...well okay, so it does have red pin stripes and a spoiler on the back.  But sporty?  Hmmm...I'm not sure about that.  We're talking about a 1997 Ford Taurus, 4-door.  Uh-huh.

I really shouldn't complain about my car though.  If I'm fair, it's been a good car.  It only has 145,000 miles on it and it still runs good, gets pretty good gas mileage and the body is in decent shape.  It was given to me after all, and I've been hit twice in it - both times not my fault, and it was totaled the last time.  They gave me a check both times, first time I had it completely repaired and the last time, I had some repairs done, but not everything.  I banked about $2000 after the minor repairs.  I'm still not sure why the adjuster decided to total it.  I bought the old girl back for $247.00 and have been driving her ever since.  Last summer we put $700ish dollars into the suspension, struts and brakes and I've replaced the battery once and the alternator a couple of times.  Still, when I take everything into account, I've been driving a free car for about 8 years now, and am still ahead financially when I take everything into account.  

My main issue is that she has so many weird little squeaks and such.  I can't really decide whether to drive it until I no longer can, or replace her while I can still get something out of the car for a down payment.  *sigh*  Decisions, decisions...

So, the obsession part.  I've been researching new (I mean new to me) cars and I have to admit, I'm a bit obsessed.  I've got my choices pared down to a few different models and of course, I have an overall favorite, but payments...even a used car will set me back for probably 5 years in payments.  One step forward, two steps backwards.  You know how it goes.

I'm a bit of a freak at trying to be debt-free, other than our mortgage; but I've made progress there as well.  Remember our deal with the big horse trailer...that was a real winner for us.  Sweet!  It started a remodeling frenzy, but that's another story for another time.  

So, I'm totally in like with the Lexus RX350 - 2006-2008 especially.  They have so many bells and whistles that I don't even know where to begin.  But in a nutshell, I'll just say leather seats that are heated!  Oh my!  And a good stereo that plays CD's!!  A sunroof that opens with the push of a button, full back seat and a rear cargo area that will lay down into an area big enough to sleep in.  All wheel drive is a must for me.  And sooooo many other features that I am totally unaccustomed to having!  I'm pretty sure I'd adjust fairly easily though...

Car choice #2 is the Acura MDX - same all wheel drive, SUV with V6 and pretty much the same major options, but not as good a reliability rating at the Lexus.  A little bit less money, but not really that much.

And car choice #3 is a Subaru.  I really like the newer Foresters, but the older ones are funky looking.  I like the newer Outbacks too, they look more SUV like but the older ones look like a little station wagon.  I don't want to drive a station wagon, but years ago I had a Subaru car and it was so much fun to drive.  This is the most economical choice, but I want to drive all three and see which one I like.  

So, that's obsession #1 for now and obsession #2 probably should have taken first place because I am so TOTALLY into this show.  I bought the entire series 1-5 from Amazon and have been greedily watching every single episode from the beginning.  I've recently started to pace myself though, because I don't want them to run out.  I'll probably just start back over from the beginning.  :)


Oh my stars, I just love this series!!  I love the historical aspect, I love the clothes, the story line and just everything.  There really isn't much on television that I do enjoy watching these days.  A couple of sitcoms that I'll watch if I remember and have nothing better to do, but we seem to watch OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) more often than anything, other than the weather.  Yes, I love the weather - just like my dad did.  Have you seen it?  You probably have, it seems like I'm always a late-comer when it comes to popular shows.  But if you haven't - I highly recommend it!!  

So, I'd love to know what you all drive.  What you love about your car and what you don't really like, and why.

And...what show (or shows) do you watch (and love) on a regular basis???
Do tell!!!

My little love bug, Ruby!

5 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love the Downton Abbey series. I've watched all of them while they were on. They take so long between seasons though.

C-ingspots said...

I agree Arlyne! A series lasts only 2 months and then is gone until the next year.

Gail said...

I may have to watch that.

aurora said...

I'm not much into TV, or movies. I've never even heard of Downtown Abbey. I do try to catch The Voice (I know, it doesn't make sense...of all things to watch) when I can. Something about the singers life stories, camaraderie, the coaches, especially Blake Shelton. I've been a fan of his since Austin came out on the radio. Otherwise I'll catch little snippets of whatever my TV addicted husband watches, old westerns, comedians etc. As far as vehicles, I've been a sporty Honda girl for many years. They hold their value & run forever. I like opening the sun roof and zipping around. I'm in need a new vehicle too. Since I married a Chevy guy & our vehicle situation has changed, I'll likely compromise and get some kinda Chevy next.

T.L. Merrybard said...

My car, Mr Whippy, is 18 or so and I'm hoping to keep driving him forever. :) I don't really like any of the newer cars. None seems like it will suit us like our current car, which is big enough for bales of hay and to fit in four Labs when required, but also nice to drive, and which seems to have a very nice spirit. He only breaks down at home or very close to home! In return we look after him well. I'll be very sad when I finally have to replace him!

Love Downton Abbey, and pretty much any BBC style period drama series. We don't watch Tv as the ads just drive us mad, but we do have a large collection of DVDs of period stuff and British comedy. Jane Austen a total fave of course! We have every version of every novel and enjoy them all for different reasons!