Monday, January 10, 2011

The guy I've been dreaming about

A fine example of the male equine persuasion...


Get your minds out of the gutter!! Do you blame me for dreaming about him?
I've never actually met this horse. I know - how can a horse be the object of a persons' dreams and the subject of so many countless hours of thought when I've yet to touch his silken coat...but it's true. His name is Eagle. He's an untrained Mustang from the BLM Warm Springs HMA.
I've talked to Eagle's current owner/caretaker and she can't speak highly enough about him...she says that in her heart-of-hearts, she knows, without a shadow of a doubt, that Eagle will be a rock solid riding horse. And she knows Mustangs; and well, horses in general...she's been rescuing and adopting mustangs for many years, and she's a trainer/ranch hand and has been for most of her life. She does a lot of volunteer trail work on the Pacific Crest Trail, among others...and rides on trails you'd never catch this cowgirl on anymore.
This picture of Eagle was taken on one of those rides. This was his first ever pack trip, and he'd just decided that he was pretty sure they'd taken a wrong turn somewhere back down the mountain...and maybe he'd just take a little break if it was alright...
Pretty smart horse in my book. Plus, just look at his gaze...he's a heartbreaker, isn't he?
*sigh*
I think I'm a goner...
Do you think I'd be just plain numchuck nuts if I adopted a 10-year old untrained, only been mounted a few times genuine wild Oregon Mustang at my age???
Signed,
Sleepless in Yamhill

9 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

He is lovely and sounds smart as a whip ,but... I don't see any spots(lol) follow your heart my friend , it has not steered you wrong so far has it?

Anonymous said...

He is a beauty! Love his expression!

Barbara said...

He is cute. He is also halter broke, and has been handled. I would want to see somebody get on him, even just a video of someone sitting on his back just to be sure that he is not terrified.
I would love to take on a mustang. There are several that I know in the area that are wonderful horses.

Michelle said...

You must have more time/organization/energy than I do; I have a hard-enough time getting ONE horse ridden sufficiently often to keep him tuned up and somewhat in shape!

Leah Fry said...

He's quite the looker!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Do it, do it do it. Not as crazy as me at 72 adopting a mustang thhad never been touched. They are incredible horses.

Grey Horse Matters said...

He's beautiful and I'm sure you can give him a good forever home with lots of love. You'd also be rescuing a horse from the BLM.
On the other hand, if it were me I'd think about whether or not I could handle riding and training him. I'm sure you can handle it all it's just a matter if putting the time into him. Life's short if you really want him go for it.

C-ingspots said...

Thanks you guys!! I do want him - there's no doubt about that! I simply cannot stop thinking about him, and that I don't understand. If I got him, that would be his last move (God willing), and he would be loved and cared for to the best of my abilities. Time - that's another issue, money - forget about it...but I know in my heart that I would LOVE working with him. And, Grey Horse - you're right about life being short...scary short! There's nothing in this world that I love more than working with and riding horses - nothing. What scares me is financial issues and the fact that hubby and me already have 5 to care for...sigh. Decisions - decisions! LOL - Leah, you said EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!!! Love you guys!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'd say you're completely defenseless against this pretty boy's charms. I'm guessing he'll be strong willed and a hand full, but I'm willing to bet you can handle it.

Let us know what happens (as if we didn't already know....*wink*)

Carolynn