Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Bump in the Road...of sorts


I was just thinking that you never really know what could be just around the corner. Life is a series of unexpected and unplanned happenings that just seem to come up, whether they're scheduled or not. Many times, an unanticipated event is viewed as a hassle; something that we have to "deal with", an unpleasant ocurrence that we just get through. Maybe - depends on your perspective of the situation.


The Bible teaches us to be thankful for our tribulations because often times these events are strengthening us for the future; building character if you will. Or, as I've often been told - what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.


Then again, sometimes I believe these little unplanned happenings are gentle reminders from our Father in heaven. You know, like a little prod for us to take note of something we are doing, or how we are living, that might need a little tweaking. We get a tiny little taste of how our lives could be changed, or what they could become, should we choose to ignore these casual glimpses. Just a thought...


Last week my hubby was having some stomach discomfort. He felt bad enough to stay home from work on Thursday and Friday. I urged him to go see the doctor. Saturday he still wasn't feeling any better; in fact he felt worse.


By Saturday evening, what was earlier a physical discomfort became an intolerable amount of pain. We spent the night in the emergency room. He has been diagnosed with an ulcer. We were told that if he hadn't come in, it likely would have perforated and would have probably become life threatening. Something that would have required surgery to repair, if it didn't cost him his life. Scary stuff.


Yesterday, he was released from the hospital. He said he felt like he had been in jail, and that the fresh air and freedom were wonderful. No more needles, or being hooked up to monitoring equipment. Solid food. I can only imagine.


I am sorry that he suffered for so long with the pain. I am also thankful for this little bump in the road. I believe that God was reminding him that his life is valuable and that he needs to take greater efforts to maintain his blessing of good health. Our lives and our bodies are only ours for a short while here on this earth. We have stewardship of our health and we need to treat our blessings with respect. For everything that is good comes from God.


And life is good.


And today, I am thankful that my hubby is at home...and has had a gentle reminder from his Father who loves him enough to discipline him, and remind him that his life is worthwhile and of great value.


Blessings from cingspots...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your husband is OK - that is very scary - I hope he will treat it as a reminder that he needs to take care of himself!

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, and I so happy to hear he is ok!
Such wonderful words for all of us to remember!

Jenn said...

I am glad he's going to be okay! Aren't men the WORST about admitting when it's time to go to the hospital? They would rather suffer in silence most of the time.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So glad he is OK ! Tell him from me ,take care and slow down a little ,then give him a big old bear hug! I was worried about you hadn't seen a post for a bit. Whaen you have time pop over to mine ,I have exiting news!
And as always I am thankful for family and wonderful friends and you Lady are fast becoming both to me

Leah Fry said...

I'm very glad your husband is okay. Slow down, take care of each other and enjoy the life you have made together!

Michelle said...

Wise words, Lorie!

Tracey said...

So glad he is okay!
Tracey

allhorsestuff said...

WHOA! So glad that God prompted him with enough pain to get into the hospital! That was close dear!
I am sorry for the bump bit thankful for the nice reminders that you are aware of in the tribulations of life...theyn shall pass but His love never does!
Kac

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband has had to go through this rough spot. I'm glad he's feeling better already and on his way to a full recovery.

I'm also sorry to have been MIA over here. I've just been so busy helping my friend with her horses and pregnant mare...and sleeping in the barn, away from a computer, means not much time for reading my fave blogs.
Finally slept in my own bed the other night for the first time in over a week. Wow. I'm so thankful for that! hehe!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Lisa

Carolynn Anctil said...

I agree with you. I'm glad your husband got treated before things really got scary. I've been doing some stepping back and self examination the last few days myself, wondering if there are adjustments I need to be making. I'm in recovery mode from my recent sailing adventure and the effects of too much sun & not enough sunscreen.

Life is, indeed, good.

*Hugs*
Carolynn

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm glad to hear that everything turned out well for your better half. It's scary when things like this happen and we can only be thankful that it didn't get too far and become a real problem. It must be so good to be home again.

Melanie said...

Ulcers can be nasty little things, can't they??? Glad to hear that your hubby is on the mend. :)

Strawberry Lane said...

So glad your husband is safely home from the hospital. And thanks for your words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

yup... you said it ... i was praying today after my lesson (during too ) on my qhorse (alle).. .she's the one I show on... After my lesson, i took her to the upper arena outdoors and since i was cooling her down decided to "close my eyes and ride".. Took my feet out of the stirrups and closed my eyes. and just rode.. it was so awesome.. she took such great care of me...

Even better since she did an unceremonious crow hop and i an unforced dismount 2 days earlier but i digress. During my "close my eyes and ride".. I thought of YOU and felt so blessed :) THanx for riding with us

hugs and shalom
cid, and alle