Friday, June 16, 2017

Self-care and celebrations

Recognizing what's important in life is sometimes a challenge.  When we're in the thick of it, you know, trying to get everything done, be everywhere on time, and be the best we can be...all the time; we get lost.  And trying to find our way back to what's rejuvenating and nurturing and what really matters can be so hard.  But we must!

I'm learning that if we don't care for ourselves and do those things that bring us joy and peace, we simply can't show kindness, compassion, patience and love to those around us.  And if you're anything like me, it's always the easiest to bite the ones we love the most.  Can you relate?

Seemingly regardless of how I want to be, I fall short and say something I regret.


You don't always need to be getting stuff done. Sometimes it's perfectly okay, and absolutely necessary, to shut down, kick back, and do nothing.                                                                                                                                                                                 More

Recognizing and celebrating milestones in life are so important.  Whether it's a birthday, a holiday, a graduation, wedding or a retirement; those are big events for all of us.  A marking of the passage of time, and an entering into a new phase of our lives.  Socializing, laughing and being with the people we care about are one of those simple pleasures that we'll regret if we don't make time for them.

Nobody is as busy as they think they are.  We can't always believe that voice in our heads - it lies to us sometimes...

Look at those two.  Charlotte will be having a birthday tomorrow and silly as it may seem to some, we're going to celebrate and go for a walk in the woods or something similar enjoyed by dogs and people alike.  It matters.

Charlotte and Ruby

She's changed and grown up a lot since we brought her home.  I'm SO glad we did!   2 years old - I can hardly believe it.  She's maturing into a lovely, young lady...well, mostly.  :)   Perfection is highly overrated.

Charlotte

Just in case you haven't figured this one out yet?  Dogs make life better.  One of those gifts bestowed on us by our heavenly Creator.  I'm sure of that.  Wouldn't you say?

And this beautiful gal down here?  She's turned 24 this year.  She's been pretty sore lately, her soles are very thin and that navicular just doesn't improve with time.  Aging isn't for the timid.  But we all have those little aches that we live with.  They don't have to stop us from enjoying life.  That's what drugs are for.  And special, expensive shoes.  A girl's just gotta have her shoes!  Missy got hers on a couple of days ago, and without a doubt, they help.  They give her just enough lift in the heel to take off some of the pressure that pulls in the heel area, and some ground clearance from those hard lumps in our pasture doesn't hurt either.  

I love this little mare.  She's so ornery, she's cute!  That's what living with 4 boys will do to a girl.

Docs Windy Night aka "Little Miss"...

Don't you wish big butts were as appreciated in women?

For me, time spent in quiet company with my horses is some of the best time spent in my life.  No lie. And I'm not talking just about riding.  Not even!  One of my greatest, simple pleasures is just hangin out with the horses.  They impart their quiet, contemplative way of appreciating the world to me, and I find it so much easier to breathe deeply and just be thankful for life and the beauty in the world.  I am blessed by them and love to stand quietly in their presence and just be in awe of who they are.  I cannot imagine life without a horse.  They enrich everything I hold dear, immeasurably

saddle

I just had lunch with a very dear friend yesterday.  We don't get a chance to visit very often, so this was so nice.  We always make plans for riding together, but have yet to actually do it.  Terry would like to go to Perrydale Trails and try the obstacles.  I hope we can do it, would be great.  Too often I put things off for way too many reasons and they're usually for silly chores around the house or for stuff that never, ever gets done anyway.  Some things in life, like laundry and dishes, will never be done.  Amen?

And my sis-in-law, Chris is now retired!  Last day at work was yesterday for her, a legal secretary since graduating college, I simply can't imagine the transition she's going to go through.  I wish many new and enjoyable adventures and interests that she'll now have time to do.   It's kind of weird with several of my friends nearing retirement age, or a few long since past that time.  Age doesn't mean anything to me, and hasn't since I was a kid.  We may change on the outside, but inside we're really much the same.  Kids at heart. We are planning on going out to dinner this weekend to celebrate and wish her well as she embarks on this new phase of her life.

My mom always told me not to wish my life away, and I try to keep that sentiment close to heart. However, I can't deny daydreams of my own retirement somewhere in the not so distant future.  I look forward to more time to do what I want to do, but wonder how I'll react to the drastic change from working full time to cold turkey.  Must be challenging, and so very different.  I've never not worked full time.  Seems like a gradual trend of working part time, then full on retirement would be easier on the human condition.  We are creatures of habit after all...

I'm still tending to Eagle's wound each and every day.  Progress is being made, the wound is granulated in and we keep it clean and moisturized with Derma-Gel.  I started out with Mupiricin, switched to Vetericyn-VF for a time, and have since been using Derma-Gel wound ointment for a few weeks now.  We apply only the occasional bandage now, but are mostly leaving the wound open to the air to form a scab.  In a location of constant flexion and stretching, healing time is slowed.  But healing is happening, and he remains sound, so we are so thankful.  We've also enjoyed so much time just bonding.  I feel his trust (and mine) growing with each and every day.  *sigh*  He's such a cool horse!  How in the world did I ever get chosen, out of all the people in this world, to be the guardian of this amazing animal?  I must be special, and know I'm blessed beyond measure!

Life is good!  Never easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is...

Summer begins next week.  Amazing.  Bring on the adventures!


~

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Yep, dogs and horses make life SO much better – even when they break our hearts, which they inevitably do....

Theresa said...

Thirding the dogs, and all other critter comments. Animals DO make our lives so much richer. Especially the ornery ones, big butts or not. :-)

T.L. Merrybard said...

Big butts are always beautiful. :D You just have to learn not to look through the eyes of modern social conditioning. xxx

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Words to live by! And for certainn, dogs are man's best friend, I always feel sorry for those who never come to love a dog. I have quarter horses with those same big butts, love them dearly. Mine, not so much, lol.

DJan said...

You are indeed living a blessed life. I worried about how I would handle retirement, but I tell people I no longer work, I simply work out! And play with my friends in the beautiful place I call home. I have had many four-legged critters through the years, and I do miss having a dog. Thank you for this very uplifting post. :-)

aurora said...

Great words of wisdom!! I wouldn't live without beloved animals either. Retirement is an adjustment of stages for everyone I know, where you end up being busier then when clocking hours. With more stuff you want to do. Part time is a good way to ease into it. I am semi-retired and freelance. It's all about mindset. Your animals are so healthy and well-loved!! Glad to hear Eagle is healing up, and I do hope you get to go on that trail ride with your friend!! Take care!

Grey Horse Matters said...

You're words ring true,we've got to stop and smell the roses along the path of life. If we don't things pass us by unappreciated for their simplicity and beauty. I couldn't live without my figs or horses. They seem everything worthwhile. Gad to hear Eagle is healing.

Shirley said...

I did the work part time before retiring thing- but still found myself at odds for the first few months- not having a routine to stick to took away a lot of my motivation to get things done, and now I"m finally getting my mojo back.
Life flies by, whether it's your own or that special horse or dog- celebrate each and every day.

Linda said...

You've been doing a lot of thinking, but it sounds like the theme is enjoying time and being accountable in that time we have. I think a lot about that, too. Like you, I'm happy being with my horses, dogs and family. When I look back, my only regrets are when I took that time for granted or didn't make it my priority. The older I get, the better I get, but I have a long way to go. So, yes, I can relate to all of it. I hope you enjoy life leading up to your retirement and I hope you thoroughly enjoy life after retirement. I have a feeling you will!

Unknown said...

even when they break our hearts, which they inevitably do....


จอมเวทย์มหากาฬ