Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Flowin' with the go

Life is a undirected drama production:

That's not a typo.  In trying to keep with my year's chosen word to live by, that's how it's been lately. I'm not rushed or bothered, just meeting life's challenges with head up and hopefully, a smile.

And if not a smile, then thankfulness that things could always be worse.  Am I right?

I certainly don't intend to indicate that things have been bad lately, that's not the case.  Life just is. We've been putting one foot in front of the other, working, cleaning, organizing, care taking and doing very little for entertainment purposes only.  That seriously, needs to change.

I'm so ready for a little R & R...been dreaming about a vacation.  No grand plans yet, but that's where my mind has been wandering to when I'm not so busy.  Been doin' a little online shopping lately too - whew, dangerous!  But fun!

A gal can never have too many shoes.  Think my hubby might disagree, but...  

Summer sandals are a gal's best friend.  Or boots, I'm a sucker for boots.  :)

So, been a long time since I've posted here!  Over 2 months in fact.  How does that happen?  I won't even try to catch up, just hopefully highlight a little bit.

Spring has finally arrived.  The ground's all dried up and the grass is growing in record time.  Lots of water and mild temperatures make an amazing growing medium.  My flowers are blooming and the birds are singing.  We all feel joy at the ending of a very long, wet and sometimes, quite cold winter. Looking back, our rain began in September, was in full swing by October and just recently quit.  I've started the closet and drawer clean-out of storing winter sweaters and such, and replacing them with shorts and breezy tops.  And sandals, pedicures, shoes on the horses.  Let's not go there.  Haven't been able to get that done yet.  Was too wet and muddy for shoes on our last scheduled appointment, and since then our farrier got sick, and now everybody has the same idea.  Oh well...

I can't ride Eagle anyway.  Just a little over a month ago, he tangled with the New Zealand fencing and suffered the consequences.  I don't know what happened, but it must have just taken place when I called the horses in for the evening.  He was the last to come.  That never happens.  When he finally did make it into the barn, he stopped and gave me one of those direct gazes of his.  I said, what's the matter big guy?  He looked so pitiful, I can't tell you how my heart dropped.  It wasn't until he walked past me and made the turn into his stall that I noticed the bright red, bloody gash on the front of his left hock.  Oh my gosh...I'm thankful to say it wasn't as horrendous as it looked.  Bad enough, but no soft tissue involvement and nothing damaging to the joint itself.  It hurt though.  Must have hurt a lot because when he stopped moving, he held the leg up.  I cold hosed and called my vet. Stitches were definitely in order.  We've been doctoring and bandaging ever since.  It's starting to look really good, but we've still got a ways to go.

So...Memorial Day camp out cancelled.  Darn   But my boy's more important than a camping trip. Since we haven't gotten any opportunities to really get the horses into anything resembling "condition", we were planning on really taking it easy, but still.  I was really looking forward to it. Mt. Adams is a favorite destination for us, and we haven't seen much of our riding club friends since last summer.  I was ready for a weekend of riding, socializing, hiking with the dogs, singing around the campfire and just relaxing.  Good times; but there will be more opportunities soon.

Our amazing chicken girls are FANTASTIC egg producers!  Since the discovery of those first 3 eggs that rainy spring evening, our egg count is 97!  Wowzer!  Since I've never had chickens before, and have no idea how many eggs is normal for chickens to lay, I am just astounded at that number. Remember, we only have 4 hens, and Lucy never has laid an egg to my knowledge.  She's wounded and has been "in hospital" aka the spare stall for a couple of months now.  She's getting better and we're hopeful she can return to her flock soon, but still no eggs from her.  So for 3 hens to lay that many eggs seems like a pretty big number to me.  Call me farm girl...I love them!  So much fun to watch.  Some day soon, I'll have to take some pics and introduce you to Lucy, Broody, Pecker and Merry Legs.  All those names have been come by honestly.  Even Charlotte has stopped trying to "get" the girls every chance she gets.  We are family, I've got all my sisters with me!  What a relief.

Hoping for a week of vacation sometime next month.  Our only granddaughter Kaylee, wants to come and spend a week on the farm with the grands.  That will be a first, so I'm super excited about that.  I want to take time to do some fun outings with her, maybe camping or a beach trip.  Shopping, who knows?  Of course there will be horse time because Kaylee, like her granny is an animal lover extraordinaire, and she's really drawn to the horses.  I can't wait.

My garden is a complete disaster.  The weeds and grass are almost as tall as I am, and pulling grass is a major drag, so...this year I'm planting tomatoes and nothing else.  Life is simply too short to spend time on things we don't love.  I do not love gardening.  There, I said it!  And I have no guilt.  Oh, there are strawberries somewhere in that mess, and we'll have plenty of blackberries, pears, apples and plums, so it's all good.  :)

What plans do you all have in store for the warm sunshine season???  I hope you'll share, even if they're simple plans like mine.  I'm a simple woman, content with my life, but commonly daydreaming of tropical beaches, sailing in the Caribbean and grand adventures.  Someday, perhaps.

Blessings all,
Lorie

♔ Seagulls:

8 comments:

DJan said...

Sorry to hear of Eagle's condition, which will keep you home for the holiday. My garden is doing pretty well, although I'm not planting much this year. It's nice to see that my tomato plants are beginning to get flowers! :-)

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Love that image! We have a new little cottage by the sea we have been renovating all winter, and our summer plans including enjoying it as much as possible.

Glad Eagle's injury isn't serious! Gah!... and chickens, oh, how I love mine too. I just put my six little ones (now almost grown) in with the big flock, now all happily living together with their "pecking order" established.

aurora said...

Great to hear from you & that you are flow-going!! Our summer plans involve work, sounds like fun? Not!! We just agreed to cancel our yearly schedule trip up north to trail ride in the forest :( which means it will be one whole entire year without one of our little vacays...sigh. Our land & building X2 is all consuming. I know it will be worth it in the long run, but still I am going a little cray-cray. Must be the year for disastrous gardens (unless you are one of my perfect neighbors) just said last night, this is the worst I have ever seen our gardens. Looking forward to not being a slave to so many weeds in the future. Glad you are enjoying your chicks, and Eagle is on the mend. Walking the beach with a kidlet sounds like my kinda fun. Enjoy your granddaughters stay! So awesome she chose to come stay with you :))

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sorry to hear about Eagle but glad he's on the mend. I haven't been on a real vacation for a very long time and could use some R&R. It seems I'm the go to for taking care of animals and children while others go on vacation. I really don't mind but I would love to take a real trip someday and do what I want to do. I don't even have a garden, just some fruit trees that look like the late frost didn't get them this year like they did last year. I don't like gardening or pulling weeds. I figure there are professionals out there that can do a better job than I can. Hope Eagle heals quickly and you can have a few rides together in the warm weather.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I love my chookies too! Yeah i had a vegie garden for years an dyears, but this year i just didn't. i had a few silverbeet going for the chooks and put in some potatoes were sprouting in the cupboard, and they've looked after themselves. I'd have done tomatoes but I currently can't eat them anyway and i love nothing better than home grown tomatoes, so it is just depressing to grow them!

Linda said...

Oh wow! Glad Eags is okay. For the record, I'm no fan of gardening either. I do love the flowers though, so I try to find a happy medium. We just got back from Norway and the Czech Republic. I'm tired and, of course, the grass grew so tall while we were gone. Our house looks as if it was abandoned. Yikes! !! Today is a work day. I haven't even seen my horses yet. Got back late last night, having my coffee now, then heading out to assess the situation. No more European trips for a while. This one was expensive. Went to sign in for return trip and hubby had bought our son a ticket, on accident, instead of me!! That mistake cost us 1500 to fix, but otherwise, I'd still be in Europe!!! So we paid it to get me on the plane. I'm kidding the ground today. I love the USA so damn much!!!

Linda said...

Kissing the ground!

Unknown said...

It's nice to see that my tomato plants are beginning to get flowers! :-)


จอมเวทย์มหากาฬ