We've been having the most long heat wave that I can recall in many years. It's been relentless for weeks with temps well into the 90's...it's been awful. Last week for my vacation, I slipped away to the beach for a day and it was just heaven! Ruby and I walked and walked, had some lunch, mosied around on the beach and while I took pictures, Ruby played in the waves. It was a drag having to come home to 90+ still in mid evening. Hopefully though by this weekend our weather is supposed to be entering a cooling trend, with more comfortable temps in the 80's - whoohoo!! I can't wait for that. I've spent a lot of time in the pool out of sheer necessity and even had to cancel my lesson riding Eagle last week due to extreme heat. I always get late afternoon times and I just can't ride in that heat, nor would I expect my horse to work in those conditions either. They really seem to tolerate the heat much better than people though, given that they choose to stay in the sun when they have available shade. You can lead a horse to water...
Eagle is doing remarkably well. Rachel has nothing but high praise for my boy. I'm hoping to increase my riding dates because in less than 2 weeks, Eagle is due to come back home. I can hardly wait! We still have not gone on a trail ride yet though, and I'm especially anxious to do this, since this is how we'll spend most of our riding time together. Rachel is so busy with the summer camp and preparing her competition horse, as well as working with Eagle, she's very limited in her available time slots, couple that with my work schedule, and it's just darn hard to find the time. It really is a priority for me to get in as many more rides as possible though, so I'm very hopeful.
Ruby continues to improve. Her blood work was pretty whacked, but after tons of research, we're still no closer to a diagnosis than we were before. *sigh* One thing that stood out for me was high cholesterol, especially her triglycerides as well as high calcium levels. We ruled out lymne disease too. We'll probably never know for sure, but I'm no longer worried because she's pretty much back to normal. Even the symptoms of the stroke or bells palsy, whatever it was, are almost entirely gone. I'm just so thankful! My little dog is almost completely back to normal. Her energy levels are still lower than normal, but I attribute this mainly to the heat. Mine are shot too, so go figure.
I've begun actively looking for another dog. In my gut, I'm not convinced that it's the best choice for me right now, but for Ruby, it is. Ruby blossoms with a companion, and so the search is on. Ideally, I'd like a Lab puppy. Secondly, I'd like a Golden Retriever puppy, but the prices that people charge for those dogs are absolutely ridiculous to me. Our budget simply cannot afford paying anywhere from $700 - $1500 on average for a dog. What gives!? I've actually seen them go for up to $3500.00!!! If it didn't go against my very grain, I'd switch occupations; but I simply cannot abide producing dogs when there are so many in need of homes. What is wrong with people? Have they no conscience? I will never understand how some people sleep at night. I've looked into shelter dogs at the humane society, the local dog pound, craigslist and have put out feelers on facebook, so we'll see where it leads. I'm not in a rush, and the perfect dog has always come into our lives at the perfect time, so I'm trying to be patient. My hubby found a dog he cannot get out of his mind at the Golden Bond Rescue. I looked at her picture and info today, and she is gorgeous, and has those milk chocolate brown eyes that will melt you in a heartbeat. Her adoption fee is $335, which we could manage. The main concern for us is her age, she's 8 years old. Goldens are not especially long-lived, and I cannot even imagine losing her in a few short years. Oh my, that might kill me! But then again, what memories we could make in whatever time she has left. They say she's perfectly healthy and sweet, loves going on walks and has plenty of "go" for a lady of her age. Maybe we could just go and meet her...see what happens. We could possibly even let Ruby make our decision. Obviously, we're torn. Time will tell.
I've also got another option on a Yellow Lab, intact breeding male. He's almost 9 and was a show dog, and has sired puppies since his show days have ended. We could adopt him for no money, but the "owner" would retain breeding rights and take him up to 2 times per year. After his retirement, which according to AKC rules, is at age 12, all paperwork would be signed over to us and he would truly be ours. Gosh, I'm just not sure how I'd feel about that though. We've always had our animals spayed or neutered and our animals are our family members. What if something unforeseen were to happen to him? Another consideration is his age, same deal as the Goldie. He is however, drop-dead gorgeous!! I would never, ever make a decent animal breeder because I just find it somehow unsavory and callous how people can have an animal for years, make money off of them, and then so easily discard them in their golden years. How can they not fall totally and completely head-over-heels in love with these dogs!!?? They love us and give of themselves so completely. I don't think I'll ever understand. I just don't get it. Do people even consider how these animals feel? It just saddens me to no end. It's heartbreaking and frankly, I hate it!
Well, gotta run. Hubby just called and I have to pick him up!
Will try and post some pics from our beach trip and from our river outing and whatever else I have new pics of, very soon!