Thursday, January 11, 2018

All quiet on the homefront

The sun peeks through

And that's the only way I can handle it right now.  I've been sick again.  This cold hit me with a vengeance.  So quickly and within 24 hours, I was flat on my back and could no nothing more than sleep.  And sleep I did, all night, all the next day and all night again.  Ventured forth, had a long soak in a hot tub of water and made it to work yesterday.  I felt so much better than the previous day.  Very weird.  I've been sick more often in these past couple of months than I've been in the previous 5,6,7 ?? years?  Not sure, but this is totally uncharacteristic for me. 

I'm still not feeling anywhere near to normal.  But to work I must go, I really have no choice.  I'm just thankful that business this time of year is usually slow.  If it weren't, I don't think I could manage.  So I come in and do my best, but that's not saying much.  I slept very little last night and am feeling exhausted today, and cranky.  I don't do well without sleep.  Good news is that I dropped 6 pounds in 2 days.  YAY me!  Probably water weight and will come back quickly, but hey, I'll take it.  Gotta find that silver lining.

Weather wise we're very warm, 50's and oh, so very wet.  Blustery winds, grey skies and too much water falling from the sky.  Totally befitting my demeanor these days.  I did spend about a half hour in the barn last evening schmoozing with the horses and trying to help with the chores.  Mentally, I was renewed, refreshed and felt alive once again.  Physically, it nearly killed me.  I felt as weak as a kitten, legs and back aching.  Like I'd been physically working hard all day long.  Pitiful really.  Just amazes me how quickly things can change.  But, never fear.  Like my momma always said, this too shall pass.  Tomorrow is another day.  I keep those words near to my heart.  So very thankful for my dear husband who just takes everything on and nudges me back to bed to rest.  In times like these, I don't know how I'd manage the caretaking of the horses without him. 

So, now you see why I've been avoiding any new posting here.  I'm rather glum these days.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Actually thankful our weather matches my mood, for if the sun was smiling, I'd be seriously piqued.  Something else my mom used to tell me, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all".  Wise woman.  So I do apologize for my lack of enlightenment and brevity, but life does sometimes throw us curve balls, does it not? 

New year is here.  There was a lot of negative, lots of anger, upheaval, political unrest, natural disasters and so very much suffering in this world.  My heart is heavy thinking about it all.  I know it has to be, but it's not easy seeing it, hearing of it.  So much pain in the world.  I can't help but hope for a better year ahead.  May we all look up in times of trouble, put our faith at the forefront of our lives and glean that peace that surpasses all human understanding.  That is my prayer for us all. 

So looking ahead, I've given precious little thought to my chosen word for 2018.  It instead, has chosen me.  It's the only word that keeps popping into my mind and I can only take it as a sign.  Shouldn't surprise me, not really.  I'm a chatter box and need to learn to practice this more, and so I hopefully shall.  Listen.  That will be my mantra, my lesson for the coming days, and with God's help, I hope to practice the beautiful art of listening so much more than ever before.  And not just with my ears, but especially with my heart.  And that goes for all who enter my life, whether they be person or animal.  Because Lord knows, I've still got a lot to learn. 

"Be still, and know that I am God"  Psalms 46:10

No worries. 

My best wishes for you all in this coming new year 2018.  May we all be blessed and therefore, bless.

9 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Best wishes to you and yours for the coming year. "Listen" say so much. The more we stop and listen to everything around us be it animal, human or nature we can learn so much.

Feel better soon!

DJan said...

I do hope you will be feeling better soon. Are you sure you didn't have the flu? You sure got awfully sick for it to be only a cold. But in any case, I hope you are feeling more like yourself soon. And that's a great word, for all of us. My word for the year is "appreciate." I am appreciating you right now. :-)

Rian said...

Love that snow picture... but glad I'm not there. So sorry about your illness. I agree with DJan that you may have the flu. It's pretty prevalent this year and apparently hits hard. Take care of yourself.

Linda said...

It’s hard to be positive when you’re sick and having to work, too. Barn time of any kind is medicine. It’s snowing here, and icey, which has slowed me down. The good news is that days are getting longer and we’ll be turning the corner soon. Happy new year!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. Sounds like your immune system is weak for some reason. But don't overdo it because people are very very sick with this year's flu.

So much negative energy in the world, it's hard to know what to do in an effort to stay positive. It takes its toll and isn't good for any of us. Besides the fact that Mother Nature is angry!

Deep breaths....

Shirley said...

The photo is beautiful, it looks like a Thomas Kincade painting.
I sure hope you are feeling better soon. I was like that last January and it really laid me low. I foundsome interesting stuff about using onions as a natural remedy for the flu; if you care to read it here is a link: https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/onion-flu-remedy/

aurora said...

I don't know of a household that hasn't been hit hard with the cold/flu. It's hard to differentiate. I love your word!! Listening takes on so many forms, like listening to your body. It needs rest. It's so good for ones soul to listen, to *really hear* what is being shared, by other living things. My mom had similar sayings to live by, must be a mom thing. Truly hope you feel better soon Lori!!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Hoping you're feeling much better real soon - Drink plenty of fluids and if you haven't tried it already, Alka Seltzer cold really helps with the aches/pains, stuffy cold misery without a medicine hangover.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

"Be still, and know that I am god" funny that has been very much at the front of my mind of late.
I like the word that chose you too, it offers wisdom and peace.
The Flu bugs around have been nasty in our area, I totally get the "sick and tired" Hope you are on the mend now and are back to yourself soon